Monday, February 23, 2009

It hurt me more than it hurt her

Lil had 2 cavities at her last checkup.  
I apparently had convinced myself that kids don't get cavaties b/c I didn't have one until I was like 12.
I was totally not prepared.
I mean, it's not like it was a kidney transplant or something, but if you had seen me today you would have thought it was and that my kidney was the one being transplanted.
I didn't say anything to her about it until I picked her up from school.
I didn't want her to stew over it all day because Lord knows, I was going to.
I greeted her with 2 Tylenol and the news.
On the way to the dentist I start prepping her.
I tell her that when she gets in the chair the dr will give her some gas that will make her feel funny, then she will take a drill that will jiggle her cheeks and it wont hurt, just feel funny ( I totally skipped the needle part ) then they will fill the hole they made with some stuff that will taste really gross.
She was like, Okay.
She likes all the information so she will know exactly what to expect.
I made sure and snagged her Ipod so she will have yet another thing to distract her.
We get there and I ask the nurse (b/c we have never done this before) if they will use gas on Lil.
She says, no we don't do that.
OH EM GEE
So I ask, can she listen to her Ipod. 
Of course she can!
WHEW
So we sit down and I broke the news about the gas.
She doesn't care b/c she doesn't know the difference anyway.
She decides she wants to go ahead and start listening to her Ipod while she is coloring and waiting on the dr.
HER IPOD DIES.
Mom of the year didn't even THINK to charge it!!!
OH EM GEE
Okay, so no gas, no Ipod, but it's okay I will hold her hand through the whole thing.
The nurse comes out to get her and says I'm ready to take her back.
I stand up to go with her and she says, oh she has to go alone.
OOOOOHHHHH EEEEEEEEEEEEM GEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I said, no I have to go with her.
She says, there is no room for me in the room with her.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
She starts to cry.
I start to officially panic.
After about 4 minutes of co-ersing and a promise to buy icecream the second we are done we find out that the thing she is afraid of is the gross tasting tooth filler.
seriously?!
So the nurse tells her that she promises to get her sucker tube right next to it so she won't have to taste it.
Lil is like, well okay then and trots to the back.
I am sitting in the waiting room alone and starting to text andrea b/c I'm totally freaked out and I just know she is going to cry out for me.
THEN MY PHONE DIES!!!
Full on panic sets in.
I am alone in the waiting room with no possible chance to vent about it while they are drilling holes in my 6yr olds skull for the first time ever and everyone is going to die!!
After what seemed to be the longest wait of my life the nurse comes out smiling and says, well that was a piece of cake.
She was picking out her toy as the nurse told me how great she was, no tears, no fears and tons of giggles about her lip that fell asleep and seemed twice the size it should be.
Out comes lil exclaiming "Mom! Feel my face it feels crazy!!"
GIANT SIGH OF RELIEF
and the sun will once again shine tomorrow

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Bless your heart. Sounds like the worst experience of your life!

2/23/2009 8:42 PM  
Blogger Breanne Crawford said...

holy cow. so much to look forward to as a mother ;)

2/24/2009 9:43 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

holy smokes!
the boy is never eating sugar again.
lol

2/24/2009 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker